to make cookies!
I love so many kinds of Christmas cookies, but one of my all-time favorites are “Russian Tea Cakes.” As a kid, I remember my mom making these and I would try and pop them in my mouth when she wasn’t looking, only I always got busted because powdered sugar covered my mouth, hands and face!
They are always such a nice addition to your dessert table, and add wonderful contrast against dark chocolate goodies, like candies, other cookies and cakes. If you like these little balls of powdered sugar, but you are a VEGAN, here’s a great recipe.
RUSSIAN TEA CAKES (makes about 3 dozen)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus about 1/2 cup more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground almonds or pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
LET’S GET BAKING!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, cream Earth Balance until smooth. Add the confectioners sugar and beat until fluffy and well combined, about 3 minutes. Add the almond milk and vanilla, beating until smooth.
3. In another bowl, sift together the flour, ground ground almonds or pecans and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until the mixture just comes together. Form the dough into 1-2″ balls. Place about 1/3 cup-1/2 cup confectioners sugar in a small bowl. Dredge the cookie dough balls in the powdered sugar until well coated, placing on the prepared sheet as you work. Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on a wire cooling rack until completely cool, then roll them again in confectioners’ sugar, and voila!
Serve in individual paper pastry cups at room temperature.
They’re just so darn good! Bet you can’t eat just one!
Brittany resides in beautiful Santa Barbara, California, and may be contacted for events, private parties, weddings, cooking classes, and craft and catering services via her website: